The repercussions of COVID-19 have changed how we look at medical services provided in the country, especially our health policies. The pandemic has pushed us to zero in on one that gives the maximum coverage without shelling out exorbitant premiums. That is where the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy is a hit.
The IRDAI, i.e. the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India, introduced the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy as a standard indemnity health insurance plan. This made it mandatory for all the insurance companies in the country to include the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Plan in their array of products on offer.
The IRDAI realised the medical needs of the general society and launched the plan, bracing up for the post-pandemic requirements, and it has been a significant success.
The Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy is for all individual and family floaters, with maximum coverage of up to at least Rs. 5 lakh. Your premiums here will not break the bank as your yearly investment will be somewhere around Rs. 7,000.
For the family floater service, you can enlist up to two adults and up to three dependent children. This safety net is a bonus. So, make the most of it.
What makes the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Plan interesting?
- Besides COVID-19 treatment expenses (which is the biggest benefit), the Arogya Sanjeevani Standard Health Insurance covers major hospitalisation charges – from room rent, nursing expenses up to 2% of the sum insured but not more than Rs. 5,000 a day- ambulance service expenses, pre and post hospitalisation charges, AYUSH facilities among others.
- While the coverage for pre-hospitalisation charges under the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy is fixed for 30 days before the date of admission; the post-hospitalisation medical expenses are there for a fixed period of 60 days from the date of discharge.
- Facilities like ICU coverage and daycare treatments are also included here. The most amazing feature is plastic surgery and dental care treatments resulting from an illness or accident. Cataract surgery is also covered.
- One of the most attractive features of the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy is the cumulative bonus of a 5% increase for each year where you don’t make any claims.
- The waiting period varies here, which does not cover treatment of any illness within 30 days of buying the plan. In case of any pre-existing diseases, the coverage shall be excluded until the expiry of 48 months after the beginning of the first policy. Like every insurance plan, this service has terms and conditions too.
- The co-pay feature also stands out here, with 5% of co-payment applicable to the claim amount that is allowed and paid according to the terms and conditions.
The Arogya Sanjeevani Policy is available for adults between 18 and 65 years of age. It is even for your children between 3 months and 25 years of age. So, that is the major draw of the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy if you opt for the floater option.
The ‘special treatment.’
- Most ‘new age or modern treatments’ are also covered under the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy. These include balloon sinuplasty, bronchial thermoplasty, intraoperative neuromonitoring, intravitreal injections, immunotherapy, deep-brain stimulation, stem cell therapy and research, and oral chemotherapy.
- There is a 24 months waiting period for ailments and treatments like a tonsillectomy, hysterectomy, gastric ulcer, gout, and hernia (all types), among other conditions. There are 48 months for treatments for joint replacement surgeries and age-related osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
- Even NRIs can buy the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy from the comforts of their home.
Pre Policy Check-up grids:
Also known as PPC tests, specific sums are incurred according to grids calculated under the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy. It is different for individual and family floaters. These check-ups include ECG, lipid profiles, carcino embryogenic antigen, routine urine test, ultrasonogram, gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, 2D echocardiogram, CBC, diabetes tests, creatinine levels, renal function test, treadmill test, serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase and hepatitis B surface antigen.
The tests will be conducted with the specific service providers for each company. If the tests fail, the medical expenses incurred during PPC will not be borne by the insurance company. The medical reports will be considered valid for up to 3 months.
Renewal, Cancellations and Refunds
There is an option of lifetime renewability with the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy with facilities like cashless treatment, free look period and tax-saving benefits.
The grace period of premium payments is 30 days. The Arogya Sanjeevani Policy Premiums are easy to calculate and pay.
In case of misrepresentation and any non-disclosure, the company has the right to declare the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy null and void, wherein they can forfeit all the premiums paid thereon.
You will have to give a 15-day notice to the insurance company if you want to cancel the Arogya Sanjeevani Standard Health Insurance at any time. The company will then have to refund premiums on short-term rates.
In case of cancellation, the premium refund varies. For up to 30 days, the percentage is 75%. Between 31 days and 90 days, it is 50%. Between 3 months and 6 months, it is 25%. It is nil between 6 months and 12 months.
You also have the option of applying for migration of the Arogya Sanjeevani Insurance Policy to other health insurance plans offered by the company concerned as per the IRDAI rules and regulations.
What does it not cover?
The Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy does not cover hospital expenses not related to a medical claim, STDs and AIDS, fertility treatments, maternity and childbirth requirements, obesity-related surgery, illnesses due to a choice of lifestyle, and dietary supplements, among others.
Gender change surgeries and treatment for alcoholism or substance abuse and rehabilitation programmes. These are also excluded from the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Plan.
How to buy Arogya Sanjeevani Policy?
You can buy the plan either via agents, by visiting insurance companies you like, or simply by buying one online. It’s a quick and hassle-free process.
For the documents required to activate the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy, you will need a completed form along with photo identity proof, valid medical reports, payment receipts, discharge summary with the medical history, surgeon’s certificate if there was any surgery, NEFT details, KYC details among other relevant programmes.
The Arogya Sanjeevani Policy Premium payment is easy. No interest will be charged if you delay an instalment premium.
- There are discounts various companies offer. Some offer family discounts of up to 10% if more family members are covered under the scheme.
- If you opt for it online, there is a 5% discount.
- Various companies can also give employee discounts.
- There is a loyalty discount of Rs. 250 for long-term policyholders.
- Policyholders from rural backgrounds are also offered discounts while buying the policy.
- However, the rules mention that all these discounts shall not exceed 20%.
The Arogya Sanjeevani Policy offers a 15-day free look period. You can also port your existing health insurance under this plan.
If you plan properly, the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy can be your one-stop shop for all your immediate health needs, including COVID-19 treatments. You will not get such a package anywhere else. Surf, look for the company you are comfortable investing with, and buy one now.
Summing it up, let’s hit on the major features and benefits of the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy again.
- Why should you opt for the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy?
- Where else will you find coverage for the host of modern-day medical treatments? Also, the coverage for plastic surgery and dental services arises from accidents. It is very tough to find a health policy that gives you such options without steep premiums.
- Who should buy this plan?
- The Arogya Sanjeevani Standard Health Insurance is meant for everyone as the plan is easy on pockets. It provides a cashless treatment facility and, again, so many options. Here, the government has kept the age limits in mind and has come up with the best solution.
- When are you buying, cancelling or renewing the policy?
- Well, you have the option of buying it online besides a walk-in to any service provider’s company. Cancellation and renewal policies are hassle-free with a quick and effective turnaround.
- Which insurance company is best for the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy?
- Since the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy is a standardised plan introduced for the policyholder’s benefit; it is almost the same across insurers. So, you can choose the insurer according to your comfort, as all terms and conditions are almost identical across plans.
- How good is the Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Plan?
Arogya Sanjeevani Health Insurance Policy is a good comprehensive plan without much complication. Thus, it is a good comprehensive plan with a host of benefits for a person who has limited health needs and is typically buying insurance for the first time.
So, get your premium calculators clicking and buy yourself and your family all-encompassing health coverage.