Women are playing an equal role in the economy of the country and are as involved in their private lives as their professional ones. They contribute equally and are exposed to the same kinds of stressors as men. But, the health requirements of females are markedly different from that of the males. Women are vulnerable to certain illnesses like breast cancer, osteoporosis, anaemia, etc., at a greater degree and there are maternity-specific health considerations that affect only women. It is, therefore, necessary for women to be financially shielded and important to them that they look into women-specific healthcare plans.
Here are some of the most important reasons why women should opt for health insurance:
- Reproductive Health Issues – Young women, especially in their child bearing age, are vulnerable to numerous reproductive health issues like Polycystic Ovarian Disorder (PCOD), uterine fibroids, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, etc. These ailments are unique to women and they can require prolonged treatments. Such conditions may even affect their reproductive potential and they may have complications during their pregnancy. It is important to be financially prepared to fight such conditions.
- Maternity Care – Pregnancy involves constant care and support for a woman including regular checkups, health management, various tests etc. Child birth itself requires prenatal, birth, and postnatal care that could be quite expensive. The mother could have to go for surgery if natural birth is difficult and this could cost a lot too. Furthermore, the child itself needs protection before it can be insured as an individual. This means that maternity care is something that should be financially secured and hence the need for insurance.
- Age-related Health Concerns – Thyroid disorders, urinary tract problems, hormonal issues, menopause, etc. are all ailments that affect women quite severely. These conditions need long treatments and may even trigger other health issues if not dealt with in the best possible way. It is important for women to secure themselves financially if they face these illnesses in the future.
These are some of the most important reasons why they should opt for health insurance apart from the common health issues faced by both men and women, and also for the tax benefits that helps them save money. And if you are looking for a woman-specific health plan then here’s what you should look for in a policy:
- Maternity cover – There are plans that cover for maternity but they have 2-4 years of waiting period. Some other plans do have shorter waiting periods but they may not be comprehensive. It is important to look for maternity benefits before deciding on a plan.
- Hospitals specialising in women’s health – Check for the hospitals in their network and see if they have specialised hospitals that deal with women-specific health issues. This is important because specialist care is much better than a generic one.
- Specific diseases and checkups – Read the policy and find out if they cover the treatment and checkups of certain conditions or not. The ailments you should check for include anaemia screening, UTI screening, and breast cancer tests and counselling. These disorders disproportionately affect women and it is necessary to find coverage against such conditions.
OneAssure is a distribution platform that helps you make right decisions on matters where health and finances converge. Visit oneassure.in to know more about your health insurance choices.